1. Vocabulary Exercise B Match the words in the table to their definitions below.
A. dismount B. triathlon C. transitions D. electronic chip E. break
1. A race with three separate parts Triathlon
2. Competitors wear this around their ankle to measure their times Electronic Chip
3. The changes between different parts of the race Transitions
4. To get off the bike Dismount
5. Competitors don’t get one of these during a race! Breaks
2. How to play Exercise A Match the answer to the correct question. Write the letter.
1. Why is swimming always the first part? The reason why swimming is first is because when you swim it can keep you dehydrated and it can also keep you wet so you won’t be dry.
2. Why do athletes have to wear an electronic chip? To measure the time or distance so the next time they do it they can try to beat it.
3. Can athletes have a rest after each stage? No because the aim of the triathlon is to push yourself to the limit and if you have a break you're losing and wasting time.
4. What does an athlete need to do the triathlon? So they can be able to run long distance, being able to ride a bike for a really long time and also to be able to swim really fast.
5. What is a transition? A triathlon is a sport with 3 parts and there is a swimming stage, a cycling stage and running stage.
a. Lot of energy and endurance – that means when you can continue doing something for a long time.
b. Because it’s the hardest sport, athletes get tired so they do the more difficult one first.
c. When the athletes change from one sport to another.
d. That’s so they know how long each stage takes.
e. No, they have to move to the next stage without stopping!
4 of 7
2. How to play Exercise B Put the vocabulary into the correct spaces.
low finally ankle ready
a. A triathlon is a race with three separate parts. First, contestants swim for 1.5 kilometres, then cycle for 40 kilometres and finally run for 10 kilometres.
b. After each stage, contestants must get ready for the next part of the race
c. These changes (or ‘transitions’) are still part of the race. Contestants try to keep their transition time as low as possible.
d. Contestants wear an electronic chip around their ankle to measure the time each stage takes.
bikes stage 2 hours clothes
e. There are special ‘transition areas’ on the course for contestants to get ready
for the next stage 2.
f. The first transition is after the swimming. Contestants get out of the water and put on clothes for the cycling. Then they get on (or ‘mount’) their bikes.
g. The second transition is after the cycling. They get off (or ‘dismount’) their bikes and begin their 10-kilometre run.
h. The race is usually completed in less than hours.
DID YOU KNOW? The ‘Ironman Competition’ is an extreme form of the triathlon. Contestants have to swim for 3.86 kilometres, cycle for 180.25 kilometres and run a full marathon (42.2 kilometres)!
5 of 7
3. Reading Triathlon Legends
Simon Lessing is one of the greatest triathletes of all time. He was born in Cape Town, South Africa. By the end of his fifth year at school, he had won honours in swimming, sailing and biathlon (a two-sport event). He was also a good cross-country runner.
When he was 9 he went to live in England and eventually represented Great Britain in world championships, at the Commonwealth Games and the Olympics. He won 8 gold medals, 3 silver and a bronze medal – an amazing total of 12 medals in one of the hardest sports.
Jackie Fairweather is from Australia. She says she is very competitive and a compulsive racer. Jackie was 24 years old when she dedicated herself to multiport and began preparing herself for triathlon events.
Over the years she has recorded over 100,000 kilometres on a bicycle and has swum over 9,000 kilometres. In 2012 she received Australia’s highest honour which was to become a member of the Hall of Fame.
Answer the questions
1. What did Simon Lessing achieve when he was still at school In South Africa? He won in honours in swimming, sailing and biathlon,
2. Why did he become a legend in Great Britain? At the commonwealth games and the olympics. He had won 8 gold medals, 3 silver and a bronze medal.
3. What kind of competitor is Jackie Fairweather? She is very competitive and a compulsive racer.
4. Why do you think she became a member of the Hall of Fame?
Over the years she has recorded over 100,000 kilometres on a bicycle and has swum over 9,000 kilometres.
Why do you think some athletes become legends? Because they have been pushing themselves to become very good at something they wanted to achieve when they were young and they have also been representing their countries like in the commonwealth games and olympics.
Do you think athletes need to be competitive and compulsive in their sport? Why? Yes because if they are soft to other people and for example they see a person coming last and they wait for them to run past them and let them win before you even though you had a huge head start.
Why do you think a triathlon athlete is so respected by other athletes?
Because even though you really want to win something you still have to show good sportsmanship to others.
6 of 7
4. Think and Answer
What type of people do triathlons? People who are very good at swimming, cycling and running and is able to not stop.
What do you think triathletes eat? Healthy food like fruit, veggies and they have to have protein in their food.
How do triathletes feel after completing the triathlon? They properly feel overwhelmed because they have accomplished the triathlon without giving up.
Choose one of the following and write one paragraph:
✪ Use the library or Internet to research a triathlete. Write a paragraph about their
training schedule, eating habits and other interesting facts.
✪ Watch a triathlon on YouTube. Write a paragraph about your observations. Did
anything surprise you? Does it look like something you would like to try? Which event seemed most difficult? What about the transitions?
A triathlon is a competitive sport with 3 diffrent courses in it and if you want to be apart in the triathlon you have to have the skill of being able to swim, cycle and run long distance because if you don’t know how to do it you might fail. The triathlon is one of the hardest events in the commonwealth games because it has a mixture of 3 diffrent sports.